Rajiv Parikh, MD, MPHS
Undergraduate: Emory University (Economics)
Medical School: University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL
Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida
Future Fellowship: Reconstructive Microsurgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York City, NY
Research Interests:Dr. Parikh is a chief resident in the integrated plastic surgery program. Raised in North Florida, Dr. Parikh completed medical school at University of South Florida where he graduated with academic excellence and as a member of AOA medical honor society. His clinical interests are in reconstructive surgery for cancer and trauma patients and microvascular reconstructive techniques. He will be pursuing a microsurgery/oncological reconstruction fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City next year. Dr. Parikh completed two years of academic development time/research (2015-2017) supported by a National Institutes of Health (NIH) Ruth L. Kirschstein Institutional National Research Service Award. Dr. Parikh also completed a master of population health sciences degree (2016) at Washington University School of Medicine and is currently investigating health disparities, value-based healthcare delivery, surgical outcomes and surgical treatment decision-making in the breast cancer and extremity reconstruction populations. He is active in plastic surgery organizations nationally and recently served a 3-year term as the American College of Surgeons’ RAS representative on the Plastic Surgery Advisory Council. Dr. Parikh also served as a Resident Ambassador to the Editorial Board for the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (PRS) and is an active member of the resident advisory council for PRS. Outside of work, Dr. Parikh enjoys spending time with his wife, traveling, playing basketball and soccer, and alpine skiing.
- Parikh RP, Guffey R, Myckatyn TM. Discussion: Occurrence of Symptomatic Hypotension in Patients Undergoing Breast Free Flaps; Is ERAS to blame? Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2019.
- Walker JN, Hanson B, Pinkner J, Simar SR, Pinkner JS, Parikh RP, Clemens MW, Hultgren SJ, Myckatyn TM. Characterization of the Microbiome of Breast Implants and Periprosthetic Tissue in Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. Nature – Scientific Reports. 2019. PMC: 6637124.
- Parikh RP, Myckatyn TM. Discussion: Microsurgical Breast Reconstruction in the Obese: A Better Option than Tissue. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2019;144(3):547-548. PMID: 31460997
- Parikh RP, Sharma K, Thornton M, Brown G, Myckatyn TM. Overlapping Surgery in Plastic Surgery: An Analysis of Patient Safety and Clinical Outcomes. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2019; 143(6):1787:1796. PMID: 30907818.
- Ha A, Keane G, Parikh RP, Odom E, Tao Y, Zhang L, Myckatyn TM, Guffey R. The Analgesic Effects of Liposomal Bupivacaine versus Bupivacaine Hydrochloride Administered as a Transversus Abdominis Plane Block after Abdominally Based Autologous Microvascular Breast Reconstruction – A Prospective, Single-Blinded, Randomized Control Trial. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2019; 144(1):35-44. PMID: 31246796.
- Parikh RP, Tenenbaum MM, Yan Y, Myckatyn TM. Cortiva versus AlloDerm Ready-to-Use in Prepectoral and Postpectoral Breast Reconstruction: Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial Study Design and Early Findings. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 2018;6(11):e2013. PMCID: PMC6414118.
- Parikh RP, Brown G, Sharma K, Yan Y, Myckatyn TM. Immediate Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction with Acellular Dermal Matrix: A Comparison of Sterile and Aseptic AlloDerm in 2039 Consecutive Cases. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018;142(6):1401-1409. PMID: 30204676.
- Parikh RP, Myckatyn TM. Paravertebral Blocks and Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) Protocols in Breast Reconstructive Surgery: Patient Selection and Perspectives. Journal of Pain Research. 2018;11:1567-1581. PMID: 30197532.
- Phillips BT, Broyles JM, Dayan E, Parikh RP, Pourtaheri N, Saliban AA, Sanniec K, Stewart CJ, Gosain AK. Spotlight in Plastic Surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018;142(1)291-294.
- Overschmidt B, Qureshi AA, Parikh RP, Tenenbaum MM, Myckatyn TM. A Prospective Evaluation of Three Dimensional Image Simulation: Patient-Reported Outcomes and Mammometrics in Primary Breast Augmentation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018;142(2):133-144. PMID: 30045174.
- Parikh RP, Myckatyn TM. Invited Commentary: Opioid Usage Following Outpatient Breast Surgery: Are Physicians Part of the Problem? Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018;142(3):621-623. PMID: 29879002
- Parikh RP, Sharma K, Qureshi AA, Franco MJ, Myckatyn TM. Quality of Surgical Outcomes Reporting in Plastic Surgery: A 15 Year Analysis of Complication Data. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018;141(6):1332-1340. PMCID: PMC6034113.
- Odom EB, Parikh RP, Um G, Kantola SW, Cyr AE, Margenthaler JA, Myckatyn TM. Nipple-sparing Mastectomy Incisions for Cancer Extirpation (NICE) Prospective Cohort Trial: Perfusion, Complications, and Patient Outcomes. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018;142(1):13-26. PMID: 2987898
- Qureshi AA, Oliver JD, Parikh RP, Tenenbaum MM, Myckatyn TM. Salvage of Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction in Nipple-Sparing Mastectomies with Autologous Flaps. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2018;38(7):734-741. PMID: 29360922
- Poppler LH, Parikh RP, Bichanich MJ, Rebehn K, Bettlach CR, Mackinnon SE, Moore AM. Surgical Interventions for the Treatment of Painful Neuroma: A Comparative Meta-Analysis. PAIN. 2018;159(2):214-223. PMID: 29189515
- Hasak JM, Myckatyn TM, Grabinski VF, Philpott SE, Parikh RP, Politi MC. Stakeholders’ Perspectives on Post-Mastectomy Breast Reconstruction: Recognizing Ways to Improve Shared Decision Making between Clinicians and Patients. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 2017;5(11):e1569. PMCID: PMC5732675
- Parikh RP, Snyder-Warwick A, Naidoo S, Skolnick GB, Patel KB. Impact of an Online Event Reporting System on Resident Complication Reporting in Plastic Surgery Training: Addressing the Practice-Based Learning and Improvement Core Competency. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2017;140(5)736-745. PMID: 29068945
- Moore AM, Kraus EM, Parikh RP, Franco MJ, Tung TH. Femoral Nerve Transfers for Restoring Tibial Nerve Function: An Anatomical Study and Clinical Correlation. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2017. PMID: 29099295
- Myckatyn TM, Parikh RP. Discussion: Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma in Australia and New Zealand: High-Surface-Area Textured Implants Are Associated with Increased Risk. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2017;140(4):655-658. PMID: 28953712
- Odom EB, Mehta N, Parikh RP, Guffey R, Myckatyn TM. Paravertebral Blocks Reduce Narcotic Use Without Affecting Perfusion in Patients Undergoing Autologous Breast Reconstruction. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2017;24(11):3180-3187. PMID: 28718036
- Qureshi AA, Parikh RP, Sharma K, Myckatyn TM, Tenenbaum MM. Nonsurgical Facial Rejuvenation: Outcomes and Safety of Neuromodulator and Soft-Tissue Filler Procedures Performed in a Resident Cosmetic Clinic. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2017; 41(5):1177-1183. PMID: 28547293
- Parikh RP, Odom EB, Yu L, Colditz GA, Myckatyn TM. Complications and Thromboembolic Events associated with Tamoxifen Therapy in Patients with Breast Cancer undergoing Microvascular Breast Reconstruction: A Systematic review and Meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2017;163(1):1-10. PMID: 28185144
- Qureshi AA, Odom EB, Parikh RP, Myckatyn TM, Tenenbaum MM. Patient-Reported Outcomes of Aesthetics and Satisfaction in Immediate Breast Reconstruction After Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy with Implants and Fat Grafting. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2017;27(9):999-1008. PMID: 28379284
- Farber SJ, Nguyen DC, Parikh RP, Woo AS. Improving Results in Closed Nasal Reduction: A Protocol for Reducing Secondary Deformity. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2017;139(1):51-59. PMID: 28027227
- Franco MJ, Nicoson M, Parikh RP, Tung TH. Lower Extremity Reconstruction with Free Gracilis Flaps. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2017;33(3):218-224. PMCID: PMC5338471
- Parikh RP, Sharma K, Guffey R, Myckatyn TM. Preoperative Paravertebral Block Improves Pain Control and Reduces Length of Stay in Patients Undergoing Autologous Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy for Breast Cancer. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2016;23(13):4262-4269. PMCID: PMC5093021
- Sharma K, Grant DW, Parikh RP, Myckatyn TM. Race and Breast Cancer Reconstruction: Is There a Healthcare Disparity? Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2016;138(2)354-61. PMID: 27465159
- Qureshi AA, Parikh RP, Myckatyn TM, Tenenbaum MM. Resident Cosmetic Clinic: Practice Patterns, Safety, and Outcomes at an Academic Plastic Surgery Institution. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2016;36(9):273-80. PMID: 27222107
- Nguyen DC, Patel KB, Parikh RP, Skolnick GB, Woo AS. Five surgical maneuvers on nasal mucosa movement in cleft palate repair – a cadaver study. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. 2016;69(6):789-795. PMCID: PMC5091938
- Etzkorn JR, Parikh RP, Marzban SS, Law K, Davis A, Rawal B, Schell MJ, Sondak VK, Messina JL, Rendina LE, Zager JS, Lien MH. Identifying risk factors using a Skin Cancer Screening Program. Cancer Control. 2013; 20(4)248-254. PMCID: PMC4516026
- Parikh RP, Doren EL, Mooney B, Sun WV, Laronga C, Smith PD. Differentiating Fat Necrosis from Recurrent Malignancy in Fat Grafted Breasts: An Imaging Classification System to Guide Management. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;130(4):761-72. PMID: 23018689
- Doren EL, Parikh RP, Laronga C, Hiro M, Sun W, Lee MC, Smith PD, Fulp WJ. Sequelae of fat grafting postmastectomy: an algorithm for management of fat necrosis. Eplasty. 2012;12:e53. PMID: 23308300
- Parikh RP, Franzen M, Pope C, Gould LJ. Autonomic Dysreflexia – Be Aware and Be Prepared. WOUNDS. 2012;24(6):160–167. PMID: 25874464
- Parikh RP, Pappas-Politis E, Smith PD. Acellular Dermal Matrix masking detection of Recurrent Breast Carcinoma: A Novel Complication. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2011. PMID: 21607537
- Parikh RP, Pappas-Politis E. Soft Tissue Infection of the Upper Extremity. Eplasty. 2011;11:ic6. PMID: 21559222