Thank you for your interest in our visiting student sub-internship program.
We are currently accepting pre-applications for the 2020-2021 academic year.
The information found on this web page is meant to guide you through the pre-application and VSAS application process.
If at any time you have questions regarding the process, please contact Stephanie Martino, Education Coordinator, email@example.com or 314-747-0541.
Students rotate at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children’s Hospital and West County Plastic Surgeons. Services include hand, reconstructive, micro, cosmetic, craniofacial, peripheral nerve and breast surgery. Multiple world-renowned faculty members provide exposure to the full breadth of our program and our residents.
Externship dates are flexible based on the student’s home institution academic calendar and we offer two- or four-week blocks.
The Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery independently pre-screens all applicants for this externship.
Before applying to VSAS, students must email the following documents to the Education Coordinator, Stephanie Martino:
- USMLE transcript or Step 1 Score Report (Step 1 score is mandatory)
- Current CV
- Brief letter stating why you are applying for a visiting medical student rotation with our program, and whether or not you are interested in being considered for the Washington University Plastic Surgery Integrated Residency Program
- Potential dates you would like to visit
Once materials are received, they will be reviewed by the division and the applicants will be informed of their acceptance once a decision has been made. Once an applicant has been approved, they will need to apply online through VSAS where they will be scheduled accordingly. Questions regarding the Plastic Surgery Externship may be directed to Ms. Martino via email or phone: 314-747-0541.
*VSAS applications submitted for the Plastic Surgery Externship without prior division approval will be denied.
The Washington University Electives Office will open VSAS for applications on May 4, 2020. Make sure you apply as soon as possible and request that your home institution release your application as soon as possible. We do not receive your application until it is released so please ensure you follow up if necessary.
Required application documents:
- Step 1
- AAMC Immunization form
- BJC Confidentiality Agreement (will be available for download)
- Drug Screen Verification (your home institution may provide this instead of requiring a document)
- Photograph for badge (professional headshot)
Post-decision requirements are:
- Home School Evaluation form
- SSN or Visa number (complete number needed system access)
- WUSM payment fee confirmation ($100 per rotation)
Note: You will not receive a final acceptance email from the electives office until the above process is complete.
WU Block Schedule:
June 22, 2020 – July 19, 2020
July 20, 2020 – August 16, 2020
August 17, 2020 – September 13, 2020
September 14, 2020 – October 11, 2020
October 12, 2020 – November 8, 2020
November 9, 2020 – December 6, 2020