The Department of Surgery provides residents with access to health, mental health and family services to offer academic, emotional and personal support. Below outlines the various benefits and resources for residents.
Residents are paid every two weeks. Residents’ salaries from July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021 are as follows:
- On-Call Rooms: Call rooms and lockers for the surgical residents are all located on the third and fourth floors near the residents’ lounge. When on call, residents have their own call rooms. Each room has a lamp, phone, desk, bed, locker and dresser. Call rooms in the SICU and CT ICU are either connected to, or immediately adjacent to, the units.
- Free Professional Sports and Theater tickets: The Department of Surgery purchases season tickets to home games of the Cardinals (baseball) and Blues (ice hockey) teams, as well as tickets to shows at the Fox Theater. Event tickets are provided to residents free of charge, either through a ticket lottery or on a first come/first serve basis, depending on how many tickets are available for the season.
- Residents’ Lounge: The residents’ lounge provides the resident with a place to relax between surgical cases. The lounge is equipped with a microwave oven, full-size refrigerator, television, and dining table and chairs as well as couches. It is conveniently located for the residents on the fourth floor above the operating rooms.
- House Staff Office/Resident Office: Residents have a newly renovated office on the ninth floor of Wohl Hospital. This office will provide four computers, a scanner, printer, refrigerator, microwave, facsimile, copy machine, along with a conference area for resident use. The Residents’ Office is accessible 24 hours per day and will be conveniently located next door to the Surgery House Staff Office.
- SCORE Curriculum/Textbooks: The online SCORE curriculum, which provides access to certain surgical textbooks and questions, is available free of charge to surgery residents.
- Free copies at the Becker Medical Library: The Department provides copy cards to residents.
- Free parking: Plenty of parking is available in either the parking decks or lots.
- Lab Coats: Four lab coats per year are provided to the resident at no cost.
- On-Call Meals: Residents always receive a 25% discount in the cafeteria provided they have their hospital ID. At the beginning of each month, residents receive two $5 meal tickets per night of in-house call.
- Malpractice Insurance: The program provides minimum limits of $1 million per occurrence/$3,000,000 annual aggregates.
- Major Medical and Dental Insurance: Insurance premiums are made by payroll deduction. Coverage is available for residents, spouses and children by Group Health Plan (P.O.S.)
- Medical Licensure: The hospital will pay for the temporary Missouri license and narcotics permits throughout residency. For residents to moonlight during their laboratory time, the resident must pay for a permanent license.
- Child Care: The hospital-sponsored Child Development Center is available to provide child care. The center is open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, with extended evening care available until 8 p.m.
- Life and Disability Insurance: Is available for up to six times the PGY annual salary. This insurance may be extended to cover family members.
The GME Wellness Program aims to improve resident and fellow well-being by developing individual and organizational strategies to improve trainee health, reduce stress and burnout, and enhance the joy and meaning in their work.
- COVID-19 Employee Well-Being Support: The health, safety, and well-being of our community are more important than ever. WashU is supporting faculty, staff and their families with resources to support health, mental health, wellness, and financial well-being.
- Free Wellness Consultations: Meet with expert WashU MyWay to Health consultants and create your individualized wellness plan. Includes 4 free sessions annually.
- Stress management: Participate in a program that trains in Mind-Body Stress Reduction (MBSR).
- Group Fitness and Gym Discounts: Find gym and fitness facilities and receive a membership discount as a Washington University employees.
- Employee flu shots: Free seasonal flu vaccines available for faculty & staff on the Danforth, West, and North campuses.
- Wellness Rewards: Earn rewards for participating in wellness programs.
- Washington University provides support and resources to help you balance work and family life. Employees have access to child care and eldercare benefits. See a full list of child care resources.
- Work-Life Solutions, formerly known as Employee Assistance Program (EAP), offers free, confidential, 24/7 support, resources and information for every aspect of your life. Learn more through the GME office.
- BJC HealthCare and St. Louis Children’s Hospital EAP services counseling, wellness options, legal resources, financial planning, child and elder care consultation, college planning, physician referrals and more
Find professional and personal development resources provided by WashU GME.
- The Washington University Medical Center Housestaff Auxillary (WUMCHA) was formed in 1982 to address the needs of women affiliated with the Medical Center. The majority of these women have relocated to St. Louis and often face unique challenges associated with medical professions. Events are planned throughout the year for members. These include holiday parties, book club, girls’ night out and children’s playgroups. Those eligible for membership include female medical students, residents, fellows and attendings associated with the Washington University Medical Center, as well as spouses and significant others of these individuals. Please visit the WUMCHA website for more information.
- Anti-Racism Resources
- BJC Learning Institute Courses
- Time Management Coaching – Jill Farmer
- Becker Medical Library Services
- Dis-orientation guide: A guide to the city, school and life in St. Louis written by WashU med students
- English Language Program (ELP) Courses (Office for International Students and Scholars)
- InPrint Editing Services – free scientific editing and schema design
- LGBTQ+ Resources
- Office of Diversity Programs
- Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion